Pacifico Gore IV Raft Challenge
NEW COMPETITION ALERT – USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM
Why let the Class IV kayakers have all the fun? New this year, the Pacifico Gore IV Raft Challenge pits teams of two against each other on Gore Creek in the heart of Vail in this classic river rat race.
THURSDAY, JUNE 8
IMPORTANT: Registration for this event closes Wednesday, June 7 at 6:00 PM. All teammates must be registered by June 1st at 6:00 PM (this event will sell out).
Want to be in the know? Join our email list to get the latest Mountain Games news right at your fingertips.
THURSDAY, JUNE 8
As its name implies, the Pacifico Gore IV Rafting Challenge is a 4-mile downriver time trial through the Class IV playground of lower Gore Creek west of International Bridge. This competition is geared toward Class IV rafters who love a good ol‘ sprint to the finish. Do you have the skills and speed to be crowned the Gore IV champion?
THURSDAY, JUNE 8
*This competition is for Class IV rafters only. Athletes need to have rafted this stretch of the river at least twice at a water level similar to what the race will be. Athletes will be contacted by an event representative and will need to pass certain qualifications in order to participate in the competition.
- Hyside 10.5 Mini Max rafts will be available for competitors needing a raft.
- A limited number of Hyside rafts will be available in each wave.
- Competitors needing a raft MUST make this request on the registration website.
- Competitors may bring their own Hyside 10.5 Mini Max raft.
- Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFDs at all times.
- Event organizers and whitewater rescue teams are not responsible for equipment rescue and/or equipment removal from the GoPro Mountain Games whitewater courses should athletes lose their equipment during practice or competition.
- Coast Guard / ISO approved PFD
- Protective footwear
- Dry-suit, wetsuit, or splash pants
- Athletes should bring their own paddles
FORMAT & RULES:
- The Gore IV Raft Challenge is for Class IV rafters.
- The course is on Gore Creek and is approximately 4 miles long. All competitors must have successfully navigated the course prior to the competition.
- Please obey all ‘no access’ and ‘trespassing’ signage. This race runs through private property. Please respect the areas surrounding this race.
- Athletes must arrive at the put–in 45 minutes before the race starts to check in, complete gear check, attend the mandatory safety meeting, receive their start times, and pick up their competition bib.
- Paddlers who lose their equipment and require a rescue of any kind and/or appear to be excessively falling and swimming will be pulled from the course by the safety team. Paddlers who lose their gear and exit the river will receive a DNF.
- Final race rules and format will be available during the Safety Meeting.
The course will start at the International Bridge in Mountain House Gear Town and finish at Stephens Park.
Price & Prizes
EARLY BIRD PRICING // February 1 – April 5, 2023
REGISTRATION PRICING // April 6 – May 31, 2023
REGISTRATION PRICING // June 1 – June 7, 2023
*The first person that registers will serve as the captain and pay the full entry fee. All team members must register by June 1st at 6:00 PM.
Total Prize Purse: $2,500
1st Place Team – $1,250 ($625 per person)
2nd Place Team – $750 ($375 per person)
3rd Place Team – $500 ($250 per person)
Prizes to be determined.