Down River R2 Raft Sprint
USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM
Peel out onto Gore Creek with your best pal in this classic river rat race. Identical in format to the Down River Kayak and SUP Sprints, the Pacifico Down River R2 Raft Sprint is a 4-mile raft race (two person rafts) on the Class II/III whitewater of Gore Creek from East Vail to the Covered Bridge in Vail Village. With a rally race format, rafters drop at timed intervals and teams will be racing against the clock.
SATURDAY, JUNE 11
IMPORTANT: BACK FOR 2022! Hyside 10.5 Mini Max rafts will be available for competitors needing a raft. Registration for this event closes Friday, June 10th at 6PM.
Want to be in the know? Join our email list to get the latest Mountain Games news right at your fingertips.
SATURDAY, JUNE 11
8:00 AM – Wave 1
10:00 AM – Wave 2
12:00 PM – Wave 3
Open (Team of 2)
Note: due to boat restrictions we will run 3 waves of 10 teams. This event will be capped at 30 teams total.
- Raft specifications for the 2022 event are as follows: 10.5 foot MAX length.
- BACK FOR 2022! Hyside 10.5 Mini Max rafts will be available for competitors needing a raft.
- A limited number of Hyside rafts will be available in each heat
- Competitors needing a raft MUST make this request on the registration form
- Required Gear:
- Coast Guard / ISO approved PFD
- Protective footwear.
- Recommended Equipment Includes:
- Dry-suit or wetsuit
- Organizers encourage athletes to bring their own paddles, but paddles will be available if needed.
- Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFDs at all times.
- Event organizers and whitewater rescue teams are not responsible for equipment rescue and/or equipment removal from the GoPro Mountain Games whitewater courses should athletes lose their equipment during practice or competition.
FORMAT & RULES:
- Athletes must arrive at the put-in no less than 45 minutes before their race starts to go through gear check, attend mandatory safety meeting and pick up their competition bib.
- When registering, rafters will select a wave (8:00 AM, 10:00 AM or 12:00 PM) and must adhere to that heat start time.
- Paddlers who lose their equipment and require a rescue of any kind and/or appear to be excessively falling and swimming will be pulled from the course by our safety team. Paddlers who lose their gear and exit the river will receive a DNF.
- If a paddler is being overtaken by another “faster” paddler from behind, they must yield to the faster/overtaking paddler in a safe and respectful manner. This will not affect a penalty or DQ unless the paddler being overtaken used blocking or any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct.
RAFT DROP INFO:
Athletes can drop rafts at the top of the Vail Village Parking Structure the night before the event, Friday, June 10 from 4:30PM-5:30PM. Event staff will be onsite to help load boats into a covered box truck that will be locked and secured. This option is HIGHLY recommended and will make the morning of the race much easier. Athletes will only need to show up to the morning meeting with their paddle, PFD and other personal gear. Rafts can be dropped at Vail Village Parking Structure the morning of the race beginning at 6:30AM.
race start info:
The race start is in East Vail at the end of Aspen Lane. There is no parking available, so athletes may be dropped off or take the shuttles provided by Lakota Guides and Timberline Guides starting at 6:30 AM on Saturday from the top of the Vail Villag Parking Structure. Please allow plenty of time to check in and attend the mandatory safety meeting.
Please respect the Aspen Lane neighborhood and use the supplied porta johns at the put-in area.
directions to put in:
From Vail Village: head east on South Frontage Road about three (3) miles. Turn right on Aspen Lane. This road is located right before you go under the highway. Put-in is located at end of Aspen Lane, at the “T” intersection of Booth Creek Lane.
Price & Prizes
REGISTRATION PRICING // February 25 – April 15, 2022
EARLY BIRD PRICING // April 16 – May 31, 2022
REGISTRATION PRICING // June 1 – June 9, 2022
*The first person that registers will serve as the captain and pay the full entry fee.
Total Prize Purse: $2,500
1st Team – $1,500 ($750 per person)
2nd Team – $700 ($350 per person)
3rd Team – $300 ($150 per person)
Prizes are to be determined.