Kids Cast & Catch
GIVING THE GUPPIES A GO
Kids 14 & under now have a chance to show off (or test out) their fly fishing skills in this technique and pond fishing competition.
This is a Casting as well as a Catch and Release event designed for kids.
SUNDAY, JUNE 12
IMPORTANT: Registration for this event closes Saturday, June 11 at 6:00pm.
Want to be in the know? Join our email list to get the latest Mountain Games news right at your fingertips.
SUNDAY, JUNE 12
- 9:00am: Venue description and demonstrations
- 9:30am: Angler practice on either or both of the dry land venues. No fishing.
- 10:00am: Shotgun start at each of the three venues
- 10:20am: Venue Rotation 1
- 10:40am: Venue Rotation 2
- 11:00am: All anglers fish the pond
- 12:00pm: Competition ends; winners announced.
Kids (14 & Under)
FORMAT & RULES:
- This is a Casting as well as a Catch and Release event.
- Maximum age: 14. This is a non-gender-specific event. All anglers compete against all other anglers regardless of gender.
- Competitors must provide their own rod. Organizers shall provide leader and fly for the two dry land portions of the competition. Competitors provide their own leader, tippet, and flies for the fishing portion.
- Any fly rod is allowed! Each angler may have up to two rods (2) rigged if desired.
- You may only measure three fish in the tray. If one falls shy of the 12” minimum, no bonus, but still counts.
- Anglers must keep the fish alive and in good health until the judge can safely measure the fish.
- Your judge must record all three fish and you must provide a photo to document your three measured fish.
- The competitor may assist the judge with the measuring process to ensure safety of the fish.
- Measuring tube will be used to determine length of fish, pinching tail down is NOT permitted.
- Pinched barbs on ALL hooks – barbless hooks ok, as well.
- All fly fishing tackle is allowed with the exception of pegging! Only fish caught IN the mouth count!
- Judges make final call on whether or not the fish was hooked and landed fairly.
- Judges (or parents) are not allowed to fish or are they allow to assist in the netting of any fish.
- Fly fishing only. No lures, live baits, or artificially scented baits.
- All Colorado Fishing Rules & Regs (no more than 3 flies at one time) must be followed.
- Dry Land:
- Point system TBD for both accuracy and distance challenges within each of the dry land venues.
- Each & every fish scores 10 points including the fish measured for length.
- On the measured fish, 10 bonus points per 1 inch, round to the nearest 1 inch. Again, 12” minimum!!! Examples: 12” fish equals 10 bonus points. 17” fish equals 60 bonus points. 20” fish equals 90 bonus points.
- Take pictures of all three fish 12 inches or better in fish tubes (measure and record).
Price & Prizes
Bighorn Park in East Vail